CLOSED Feb. 24, 2020
The Great Lakes Observing System (GLOS) is seeking to hire a Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
GLOS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Ann Arbor, Michigan. As a regional “node” of the national Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS), GLOS provides end-to-end data services that support science, policy, management, and industry in the U.S. and Canada to improve on-water safety, enhance the Great Lakes economy, and to protect our freshwater-centric environment.
GLOS is committed to a diverse and inclusive working environment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, or disability.
This position is based in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
The CEO will:
- Be responsible for the strategic leadership and efficient operation of the daily operations of GLOS’ staff, projects, and business operations
- Deliver on the mandate of the organization, in compliance with its bylaws (within a non-profit framework), to ensure that projects, staff, contractors, and collaborations align with and drive GLOS’ mission and strategy
- Ensure the fiscal integrity and stability of the annual budget maintains the continued viability of GLOS
- Be accountable for the continued roll out, integration, and health of GLOS’ new IT platform, seagull.glos.org, to host and serve regional Great Lakes data
- Develop and execute the annual work plan and budget
- Establish employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of GLOS
- Serve as GLOS’ primary spokesperson to funders, constituents, media, Board of Directors, legislators, and the public
- Provide guidance and direction for technical efforts associated with the continued development of the GLOS product and data suite
- Actively build and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the bi-national Great Lakes region (Canada and the United States, including state, provincial; Tribes, First Nations, and Metis) and leverage those relationships to strategically enhance GLOS mission
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to ensure alignment on policy decisions, maintenance of mission, regional collaboration, and growing the visibility and uptake of GLOS throughout the bi-national Great Lakes region
- Hire and supervise staff and contracted consultants, as necessary, to maintain and also build the organizational structure to move the GLOS mission forward to enhance Great Lakes data management needs
- Organizational strategic planning and implementation including the development of strategic plans
- Oversee quarterly Board of Directors meetings
- Oversee annual public meeting
- Develop and execute external communications that support the GLOS mission, products, and accomplishments
- Manage the development of and approval for contracts for services
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
Preferred Professional Qualifications and Experience
- A master’s or doctoral degree with emphasis on environmental or related studies
- Five or more years of senior management experience at a government, university, for-profit and or nonprofit centered on team collaboration and organizational management
- Proven record in effective staff management, team-building, and mentoring skills that support a respectful and inclusive environment.
- Hands-on budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong technical knowledge, experience working with large, distributed web and data systems with consumer-facing frontends
- Proven experience building effective partnerships and collaborating with external partners.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, develop, prepare, and submit successful proposals and grant applications
- Significant experience in and enthusiasm for public speaking and communication (social media)
You will need to submit a Cover Letter, Resume or CV, and three professional references.
All interested individuals should submit their application packages to CEOsearch@glos.org by no later than Friday, February 24, 2023.
Questions about the position or the process? Contact Tom Rayburn at email@example.com.
CLOSED Feb. 24