Career and Internship Opportunities
Apply by July 16, 2021
The Great Lakes Observing System (GLOS) is looking for a talented, motivated individual to join our organization as an Accountant (part-time). GLOS is a 501c3 non-profit organization established to support data collection, data management, and data sharing in the Great Lakes. GLOS is one of 11 regional nodes of a U.S. federal program, the Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS). Managed through NOAA, IOOS is a partnership of 17 federal agencies with a mission to coordinate data on the oceans, coasts and Great Lakes.
As a member of our team, you will organize, analyze, and verify our various financial transactions and reports to ensure accuracy and regulatory compliance. You will support annual financial audits, assist with payroll activities, and review business expense reports. This is a detail-oriented position that is vital to our daily operations. Our ideal candidate has at least an associate degree in accounting, as well as experience working in the accounting field as an accountant or accounting technician. In addition, excellent communication, organizational, and math skills are critical for this position in a small but mighty organization.
This position may be performed entirely remotely, or at the offices in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The expected work is approximately 10-20 hours per week. This position could grow into full-time.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review and verify financial transactions to ensure accuracy.
- Ensure all financial reporting is compliant with local and federal regulations.
- Update account records and improve recording processes.
- Prepare for annual audits.
- Assist with payroll, benefits, and related financial management for personnel.
- Processing of financial transactions, including business credit accounts, insurance, wire transfers, etc.
- Support state/provincial and U.S. and Canadian federal tax compliance.
- Support the Chief Operations Officer in the financial administration of subawards and subcontracts.Requirements and Qualifications
- Associate degree or higher in accounting or relevant field.
- Prior experience in an accounting role, preferably in a non-profit environment.
- Firm understanding of U.S. and Canadian tax regulations.
- Strong proficiency with standard accounting software, including Quickbooks.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
Apply for this position by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org a cover letter and resume. The position will close Friday, July 16.