The Great Lakes Observing System (GLOS) is searching for an outgoing and self-motivated individual to serve as the Communications Specialist working out of our offices in Ann Arbor, MI. This is a full-time entry level position. The Communications Specialist will report to the Chief Executive Officer.
GLOS provides public access to real-time and historical information about the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence River and interconnecting waterways for use in managing, safeguarding, and understanding these freshwater resources. GLOS is focused on supporting and sustaining high-quality observations to deliver reliable and accessible data that supports rights holders’ and stakeholders’ needs. GLOS communications, outreach, and engagement activities are designed to promote information exchange across the GLOS network according to the process and priorities outlined in the strategic plan. For more information visit: www.glos.org.
- Support the leadership team in developing communication strategies and messaging.
- Create and implement a communications impact evaluation process to support strategic goals of GLOS.
- Strategize and execute regular multi-media communications activities including but not limited to monthly e-newsletter, website content updates, event promotion, news releases, annual reports, information handouts, live streams, and social media.
- Assist in planning and executing workshops, meetings, and other events.
- Seek and manage vendors that produce communication assets (web, design, video, etc.).
- Curate, edit, and manage online content creation and publishing process, and monitor and respond to content metrics.
- Edit and enhance staff presentations and documents (e.g., project plans, reports, grant proposals, etc.).
- Cultivate relationships with key media contacts and work to highlight GLOS-related projects and people.
- Oversee maintenance and update of GLOS website, Google Adwords campaigns, e-newsletter services, and Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) database as needed.
- Grow Seagull user engagement by developing online support materials, responding to user support requests, and helping to report on user analytics.
- Solicit presenters, provide video and audio support, and advertise Seagull LiveStream series.
- Work with the CEO to foster and maintain trusted relationships with users, rights holders and stakeholders. This includes soliciting feedback, scheduling in person visits with new partners, retaining existing relationships, and facilitating 1:1 interactions.
- Contribute to expanding GLOS partnerships and data products user base through the development of effective outreach and engagement activities and materials.
- Work with staff in support of education and outreach efforts specific to ongoing monitoring projects.
- Participate in national and regional communications and stakeholder engagement meetings.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, science education, English or related field.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills, including ease in communicating complex concepts in a clear, effective manner for a general audience.
- There will be some travel associated with this position. Estimate 2-3 trips per year throughout the Great Lakes region (including Canada) as well as to the Washington D.C. area. A valid passport is required.
- Creative thinking and desire to contribute to a fun and inspired office environment.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with WordPress, MailChimp, Salesforce (CRM), Adobe Photoshop, Google Adwords or similar software suites.
- Recognized ability to meet multiple deadlines by maintaining a high level of organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including marketing and membership development experience.
- Basic graphic design skills.
- Proficiency with use of media equipment, i.e. video equipment, video editing, sound/audio equipment.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, three references, and two writing samples to the hiring committee at firstname.lastname@example.org by COB September 1, 2023. If selected for an interview, you may be asked to submit additional writing samples. Salary is commensurate with education and experience.